Although fifty percent of all internships are paid, many excellent career-related internships in nonprofits, human services, the media and the arts are unpaid. While the experience and skills you could develop may be critical for your career field, supporting yourself can be a challenge. Here are a few suggestions:
If possible, choose part-time internship hours or alternating days, and work part-time or evenings in another job. Look for 24/7 jobs such as restaurants. Arrange in advance with your family for additional support for the summer of your internship. An internship is an investment in your future and helps to ensure better employment opportunities after you graduate.Save money during previous semesters or summers just as many students do for a study abroad program.
Hiram College recognizes that these options may not work for every situation or cover all your expenses during an unpaid internship or research project. Therefore, the college has two competitive programs that provide up to $2500 in funding.
There are simply some skills that can not be learned in a classroom. ... When it came time to assess a contractor's needs or work confidently with a retail customer those all come from experiences in my internship.
- Katherine Valaitis '13, intern at Sherwin-Williams
Provides support for an internship in journalism or that is writing intensive.
Provides a stipend for unpaid or low-paying internships in any career field.
Although money is available year-round, most stipends are given for the summer.
To apply, you should submit the following information electronically in one packet to the Career Center by the published deadline. A faculty committee will read all applications and make the awards:
- An application letter including a description of the internship, it's relationship to your future career plans and a clear statement of your learning goals
- The budget template detailing how the funds will be used as well and disclosing funding you will receive from other sources such as faculty research grants, part time work or other stipends. Download an Excel Spreadsheet or PDF.
- The budget justification sheet which explains why you need the funding you have requested on the template
- A reflection plan that is developed with your faculty adviser that explains how you will reflect on/learn from the internship experience such as a public presentation, a journal or a reflective essay which must be submitted to the selection committee following your internship. This can be in the form of a short essay.
- An acceptance letter for the internship from the potential employer
- A letter of support from the faculty adviser for the project