Health Sciences Advising
The Health Science Board has provided this page for students exploring health careers and for those who want to carefully prepare for a specific health career. There are two ways you can use it:
To prepare for a specific career field you have chosen.
First, review the career advising suggestions from the lists below. Then schedule a meeting with the faculty advisor who specializes in advising for your career field to review the requirements you should meet. Finally, take these suggestions to your own academic advisor to make decisions about your courses.
Click on the career fields below for Advising Information and see these faculty to discuss your plans:
Dentistry -- See Dr. Sandra Madar --
Genetic Counseling -- Dr. Brad Goodner --
Medicine -- See Dr. Cara Constance --
- NEOMED Medicine program - See Dr. Sandra Madar --
Pharmacy -- See Dr. Jim Kercher -- or Dr. Carol Shreiner --
Physician's Assistant- See Dr. Sandy Madar -- or Dr. Brad Goodner --
Physical Therapy -- See Dr. Tom Koehnle --
Public Health - watch this space!
Veterinary Medicine - See Dr. Matt Hils --
To explore additional careers in health professions.
- Use job shadowing, alumni networking, summer jobs and internships to learn more about the careers below.
Explore more health professions: bioinformatics, health policy research, health journalism, perfusionist, nurse anesthetist, regulatory policy....
- BioOhio workforce options in biomed - R&D, clinical trials, sales, manufacturing, regulatory control
- Do more career research on these emerging fields: Health Informatics or Medical Informatics; healthcare administrator, health care program evaluation, gerontology, nursing home administration, wellness managers, dieticians, speech pathologists and many more
Questions about the GRE, graduate school, job shadowing...? Check out the resources at www.hiram.edu/career or email for an appointment with a career advisor.
- ADEA (American Dental Education Association) - on preparing for and selecting a school
- AADSAS (Associated American Dental School Application Service)
- AAMC - On preparing for and selecting medical schools
- AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service)
- AAPA (American Association of Physicians’ Assistants) - on becoming a PA
- CASPA (Central Application Service for Physicians’ Assistants)
- ASPPH (Association for Schools and Programs in Public Health)
- SOPHAS (Schools of Public Health Application Service)