Research Teaching Associate
Hiram College, B. A.
Bowling Green State University, M. S.
Office: Bates Hall 218
B. A., Biology, Hiram College, May 1996.
M. S., Biology, Bowling Green State University. August 1999.
Teaching Interests (Laboratories)
Experimental Methods and Statistics, Descriptive Methods and Statistics, Learning: Theory, Methods, and Application, and Biopsychology
Animal behavior, sensory and perception
- Lakeland Community College, Department of Biology, Instructor, part-time, 2008-5/2011
- University of Akron, Department of Biology, Instructor, 2002-12/2007
- Hiram College, Departments of Psychology and Biology, Research Teaching Assistant 1999-2002
- Bowling Green State University, Department of Biology, Teaching Assistant 1997-1999
Publications and Presentations
- Chenoweth, A.M., & Shauver, L.M. (2012). No Money, No Problems: Implementing Learning and Neuroscience Laboratory Activities on a Shoestring Budget. Platform presentation (by A. M. Chenoweth) at the annual Tri-State+ Conference on Animal Cognition, Kent, Ohio
- Schumaker, S., Picolo, M., Miller, S., Shauver, L., & Parks, A.C. (2012). What grabs your attention? Talk presented (by A. C. Parks) at the 26th Annual Ohio Undergraduate Psychology Research Conference, April 2012.
- Phillips, K. A., & Shauver Goodchild, L. M. (2005). Reunion displays in captive male brown capuchins (Cebus apella). Primates, 46(2), 121-125. doi: 10.1007/s10329-004-0113-9
- Phillips, K.A., Shauver Goodchild, L. M., Reinking, L.N., Zegers, D. A. (2005) "Neurotransmitters and Aggressive Behavior in Crayfish." In E. Jacobs & M. Hodge (eds.), Learning the skills of research: Animal behavior exercises in the laboratory and field. (Available on Instructor CD-ROM with Animal Behavior: An Evolutionary Approach, Eighth Edition by John Alcock. See http://www.sinauer.com/detail.php?id=0051)
- Phillips, K. A., Shauver Goodchild, L. M., Haas, M. E., Ulyan, M. J., & Petro, S. (2004). Use of visual, acoustic, and olfactory information during embedded invertebrate foraging in brown capuchins (Cebus apella). Journal of Comparative Psychology, 118(2), 200-205. doi: 10.1037/0735-7036.118.2.200
- Londraville, R. L., Niewiarowski, P. H., Shauver, L., & Spencer, J. (2003). Inquiry labs for biology majors result in significant improvements in logical thinking skills, confidence in biology, and attitude toward science. Integrative and Comparative Biology, 43(6), 1028.
- Phillips, K. A., Shauver Goodchild, L. M., Haas, M. E., Ulyan, M. J., Petro, S. The use of visual, acoustic and olfactory information during embedded invertebrate foraging in brown capuchins (Cebus apella). American Journal of Primatology. 60 (Supplement 1) 2003. 66-67
- Phillips, K. A., Shauver Goodchild, L. M., Haas, M. E., Petro, S. (2002). What sensory cues do capuchins use to locate embedded invertebrates? American Journal of Primatology. 57 (Supplement 1), 73-74.
- Phillips, K. A., & Shauver, L. M. (2001). Reunion displays in tufted capuchins (Cebus apella). American Journal of Primatology, 54(Supplement 1), 83.
- Shauver, L.M. and Moore, P. A. (1999). Sensory information used in female assessment of males in Procambarus clarkii. Chemical Senses, 24(5),517-622.doi:10.1093/chemse/24.5.517
- Shauver, L.M. and Moore, P. A. (1998). Mate choice in the Red Swamp Crayfish, Procambarus clarkii: Role of visual and chemical signals as sources of information. Chemical Senses, 23(5), 545-646. doi:10.1093/chemse/23.5.545
Professional Services and Activities
2012- present Hiram College Moodle Mentor (assist faculty in transition from Sakai LMS to Moodle LMS)
2011-present Hiram College Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) member
2002-2007 University of Akron Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) member
2006 Auburn Science Emergency Committee member
2005 Principles of Biology Lab Coordinator Search Committee member
2002-2003 Northern Ohio Branch of American Association for Laboratory Animal Science
1998-2000 Association for Chemoreception Sciences