For Professional & Graduate Studies Students
(2014 Information coming soon)
It is the responsibility of all graduating students to complete certain tasks in preparation for graduation. Completion of tasks will assure the student is able to participate in celebratory events and the commencement ceremony.
THE COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY
Hiram College's commencement ceremony includes the Dean of the College reading each graduate's name as they process to the front. They will be given a diploma folder, congratulated by the College President and the Chair of the Board of Trustees.
All students with a G.P.A. of 3.5 or above after the Fall Semester will be listed with Latin honors in the commencement program and the honor will be announced with their name during Commencement. Final Latin honors (Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Cum Laude) will be awarded officially after final grades are recorded. If your final cumulative G.P.A. is 3.5 or above, the associated Latin honor will appear on your diploma which will be mailed to you four to six weeks after Commencement. All final Latin honors and departmental honors will be noted on your final transcript.
GRADUATE'S TO DO LIST
The following 'to do list' is a tool to assist each student. It is intended to assure there is a clear understanding of what needs to happen as graduation approaches. Please review this information carefully and contact the appropriate office with any questions.
- GET YOUR PORTRAIT TAKEN ON JANUARY 11 OR 12, 2013 if you haven't done so already in the Brown Fall room located inside the Kennedy Center.
- ORDER CAPS AND GOWNS. Be sure to order your cap and gown through www.herffjones.com/college/graduation OR by placing your order in the book store. DEADLINE is March 13, 2013.
- ORDER GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENTS (Optional). Personalized graduation announcements will be available to order through the book store starting February 1. The cost for personalized graduation announcements is $1.75 each + tax or a package of 10 for $14.95 + tax and will be available for pickup in the book store two weeks after placing the order.
IN MARCH AND APRIL
- JOIN THE ONLINE ALUMNI COMMUNITY. As a Hiram College alumni, you automatically join a career network of more than 15,000 alumni. The easiest way to take advantage of this is through the online alumni community. Register at alumni.hiram.edu to connect with others in your career field and geographic area. In addition, stay in touch with classmates through your class page and blog, post an online class note, and let others know what you are up to. This is also a great way to keep Hiram updated with your contact information to ensure you receive all of our communications about opportunities for alumni.
- PICK UP YOUR CAP AND GOWN STARTING APRIL 27, 2013 in the book store. Cost for the undergraduate cap, gown, and tassel is $39.95 + tax. Cost for master gown with hood including cap and tassel is $64.95 + tax and master gown without hood including cap and tassel is $47.95 + tax. Payment is due at time of pick up.
- ATTEND PROFESSIONAL & GRADUATE STUDIES REHEARSAL ON MAY 4. Rehearsal is for all PGS students at 6:00 p.m. in the Kennedy Center Brown Fall room. The rehearsal will take ~45 minutes and complete instructions about the academic procession and procedures for the commencement ceremony will be shared.
- ATTEND PGS UNDERGRADUATE SENIOR DINNER ON MAY 4. Dinner will be held at 7:00 p.m. in the Kennedy Center Ballroom for all undergraduate professional studies graduates and guests. Advanced registration and tickets are required.
ON COMMENCEMENT DAY
- BE ON TIME FOR CLASS PICTURES. Class pictures for undergraduates and MAIS will be taken on commencement day in front of Bates Hall at 12:15 p.m. You must be prompt or miss being in the picture.
- BE ON TIME FOR LINE UP FOR COMMENCEMENT. All graduating students are to line up at Martin Field House. You MUST be there at 1:15 p.m. or risk not marching. If there are any changes to this, it will be announced at the rehearsal on May 4.
ENJOY YOUR COMMENCEMENT DAY WITH FACULTY, STAFF, FAMILY, AND FRIENDS.