Financial Aid for Eligible non-Citizens, Permanent residents (LPR) and U.S. Citizens Living Overseas

Hiram College is committed to making a great education affordable and attainable for you and your family. For 150 years, Hiram College, in partnership with families committed to high quality private education, has been helping students pay for college. Proof of our commitment is evident through the Tuition Guarantee and other financial opportunities available from Hiram College.



Need-Based Aid

Contact Us


U.S. Citizens and nationals, lawful permanent residents (Green Card), Refugees and Asylees are eligible to be considered for domestic merit-based and need based financial aid. These include students from:

  • Puerto Rico
  • Guam
  • American Samoa
  • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Swain's Island
  • Northern Marianas Islands
  • the Freely Associate States of:
    • The Republic of Palau
    • Republic of the Marshall Islands
    • Federated States of Micronesia

Return to top


Scholarships & Grants

Applying for Hiram College scholarships and grants is easy.  In most cases, all that is required to receive a merit-based award is to apply and be offered admission to Hiram College. Applicants, who submit completed applications to the Office of Admission by February 15, are automatically considered for scholarships and grants.  Students who wish to be considered for Trustee and Presidential Scholarships must apply by December 1. With the exception of Trustee and Presidential Scholarships, candidates receive notification of merit awards at the time of admission.


Hiram's scholarships are blind to financial need and recognize academic achievement and hard work based upon GPA and standardized tests.  Scholarship levels for 2013-2014 are:




First Year    
Trustee Full Tuition Awarded by Scholarship Committee. Completed Application due by Dec. 1, 2012.
Presidential ¾ Tuition Awarded by Scholarship Committee. Completed application due by Dec. 1, 2012.
Deans $16,000 3.60+ GPA and 1200 SAT or 26 ACT
Heritage $12,000 3.40+ GPA and 1000 SAT or 22 ACT
Hiram $10,000 3.00+ GPA and 900 SAT or 20 ACT
Music Up to $3,000 Music Major
Art Up to $3,000 Art Major
Theatre Up to $3,000 Theatre Major
Political Science/ Pre-Law Up to $3,000 Political Science or Pre-Law Major
Transfer $13,000 2.50+ GPA; 12 credit hours completed
Phi Theta Kappa $15,000 Member of the Phi Theta Kappa Transfer Society

*SAT score criteria are based upon the combined critical reading and math scores; ACT score is composite.


Hiram awards grants of varying amounts if you are:

  • the child or grandchild of a Hiram graduate
  • your sibling will attend Hiram at the same time you will
  • you are a member of the Disciples of Christ Church
  • from a state other than Ohio or a reside overseas

Grant levels for 2013-2014 are:




Activities Up to $8,000

Activities in school, church or community; cannot be combined with merit-based scholarships.

Alumni Up to $5,000 Children and grandchildren of Hiram alumni
Sibling $1,000 Brothers and sisters of enrolled students
Out of State Up to $3,000 Students not residents of Ohio
Disciples of Christ Up to $3,000 Disciples of Christ Church member

Return to top


Need-based Aid

In addition to receiving a scholarship and/or grant, a student may also apply for and receive financial aid based on family circumstances. This may include various types of aid such as institutional and federal grants, student loans and work-study employment.   


Need-based aid is determined using family financial data reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Hiram does not require a separate institutional application for financial aid. The FAFSA is available online free of charge at Including Hiram College's school code 003049 on the forminsures that the data is sent directly to Hiram.

You can file the FAFSA any time after January 1 of the calendar year in which you plan to enter Hiram. We recommend completing it by February 15 so that you can receive a complete financial package in early March. Institutional aid may be capped at a specific dollar amount for all institutional funds. For more complete information about need-based aid refer to Financial Aid for Traditional College Undergraduates.

Completing the FAFSA

A completed FAFSA requires online signatures. To sign the FAFSA electronically, a student must have a 4-digit PIN (Personal Identification Number) assigned by the U.S. Department of Education. You can apply for a PIN at Additionally, a dependent student must have a parent signature to complete the FAFSA. If at least one parent is a citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the U.S., that parent also can apply online for a PIN and sign the FAFSA electronically.

If neither parent is an LPR or Citizen of the U.S, the following procedure is required. Using the student's PIN signature, submit all financial data online. Be certain to print out the signature page of the FAFSA. Both the student and one parent should hand sign and date the signature page and send it to the address in the U.S. identified for processing. It is advisable to use a courier to send it so you can track its delivery and know when it is received at the processing center. Using the student's online PIN signature and then submitting the student's and parent's hand signatures by post will confirm the parent's written signature.

Additionally, the following is helpful in completing the FAFSA:

  • Questions 6 and 18: If you reside outside of the U.S. use the drop down table to select "other" when responding to the request for "state."
  • Questions 21 and 22: Male students (aged 18 - 25) must be registered with selective service in order to apply for need-based aid. If you are not yet registered with selective service, you may check "yes" to question 22 and your name will be sent to selective service for registration - or you may first go to and register online for selective service before completing and submitting the FAFSA.
  • Questions 57 and 61: If your parents are foreign nationals who do not have a U.S. social security number, insert 0 (zero) in each of the social security number blanks.
  • Question 71c: Complete this question if your parents file a tax return in your country of residence provided that your country of residence is NOT the U.S.

Return to top


Contact Us

For further information or assistance:

  • Review the College's financial aid pages
  • Make direct contact with a member of the financial aid staff
  • Email the admission office at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
▲  Return to Top